Zoning places properties into categories such as residential, commercial, industrial, institutional and agricultural.
The Township of Wellesley Zoning By-law is a legal document, which is used to control the use and development of properties and buildings.
Each of the zoning categories has a list of permitted uses and regulations that include things such as:
- Lot size
- Lot frontage
- Building size
- Building yard setbacks
- Building height
|Introduction and Table of Contents|
Zoning By-law Maps
|Zoning Index Map|
Zoning By-Law amendments
You can make changes to the Zoning By-law by following the Zoning By-Law amendment process. Amendments are reviewed and considered by Council at a public meeting. A zoning amendment is typically required when a new or additional use is requested for a property and/or several lot regulations can't be complied with. More information about zoning amendments can be found on the zoning by-law amendment application form.
A minor variance can be considered when the changes to the zoning by-law regulation are considered to be minor.
The Committee of Adjustment handles applications for the following:
- Minor variances from the provisions of a zoning by-law; and
- Enlargement, extension or alteration of a legal non-conforming use of land, buildings or structures.
Complete minor variance application form to begin the process.
How to use the Zoning By-law
Use the following steps to find out what your property is zoned:
- Use the key map to find the detailed zoning map that your property is on.
- Locate your property on the detailed zoning map (Schedule A and Schedules B-L). Find your property and identify the zone that it is in by the letter and number code (i.e., A1, UR, UC, SC, DI, etc.).
- Find your zone section in the Zoning By-law.
- Review the zoning regulations that are contained in the zones that apply to your property (these will provide you with permitted uses, lot sizes, setbacks, etc.).
- Don't forget to look at the General Provisions (Section 4) section of the Zoning By-law as some of this section might also apply to your lands.
If you have any questions about the zoning by-law please contact the Planning department.