The Township of Wellesley Fire Department invites applications from any of our residents who are 18 years or older and can meet minimum fitness, medical and administrative requirements for the position of firefighter.
Recruitment information night
We will hold an information night prior to our recruitment drive. The date for the 2017 information night is Monday March 27, 2017 at 7pm. This event will be held at the Linwood Community Centre located at 5279 Ament Line in Linwood Ontario. Notifications of this information night will be posted on our website, fire station signs, in mail-outs and in the local newspaper.
If interested we recommend that you attend so you may ask questions and get a full understanding of the commitment and responsibility being a paid-on-call firefighter involves. We also recommend that you bring your spouse/family along since the role of paid-on call firefighter affects everyone.
Applications and recruitment drives
Applications are available on our website, at information nights or the Township office. Applications are accepted year round but interviews and hiring are only conducted during recruit drives.
Interviews will be held for candidates meeting the minimum requirements. You will be given a ranking and placed in a 2 -year hiring pool for the station you live closest too. Ranking is based on your resume and interview.
The closing date for applications to be considered in the 2017 Recruit Drive is Thursday April 13, 2017 at 4:30pm. Applications, resumes and cover letters can be addressed to Fire Chief Paul Redman and dropped off (8:30-4:30pm Monday-Friday) or mailed to the Township of Wellesley, 4639 Lobsinger Line R.R#1 St.Clements ON N0B 2M0 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Resume and skills
Valuable resume skills and/or highlights include, but are not limited to:
- Day time availability
- Shift workers
- Living close to one of the three fire stations ( Linwood, St.Clements and Wellesley)
- Current First Aid/CPR certification
- Applicants already employed in emergency services ( firefighters, paramedics, police officers)
- Previous paid-on-call firefighting experience
- Students/graduates of firefighting, paramedic or any medical-related diplomas/degrees
- Medical professionals (doctors, nurse practitioners, nurses, registered practical nurses, , mid-wives, )
- Mechanics, plumbers, gas fitters, millwrights, electricians, hvac technicians
- Construction, farming, heavy machinery operators, military, truck driving experience
- Employed within the Township boundaries and able to leave work to attend calls
Becoming a firefighter
Successful candidates will be required to obtain (at their own expense) a DZ license within the first 12 months.
Recruits will be expected to satisfactorily complete a rigorous training program that is not only time consuming but physically and mentally exhausting.
Recruits are probationary firefighters for one year, firefighter 2nd class for the next 12 months and then having met all training, performance and attendance requirements become firefighter 1st class.
The applicant regardless of rank or years of service, is expected to attend a minimum of 20 training nights a year.
The Corporation of the Township of Wellesley is an equal opportunity employer.